SD card or memory card is a small and compact media storage device that is widely used in phones, cameras, and many other digital devices. It stores your photos, videos, music files, etc. and you can easily access them on the original host device or by connecting it to a computer with an SD card reader.
Sometimes you may mistakenly delete some photos or files on the SD card. Still, the SD card data loss can also occur unexpectedly. How to recover deleted or lost files from SD card? There are some popular data recovery applications in the market that help you easily conduct the SD card recovery. MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a free and easy tool.
Recover Deleted Photos/Files from SD Card in Few Clicks
MiniTool Power Data Recovery, designed by MiniTool Software, aims to help users quickly recover deleted or lost files, photos, videos, etc. from various storage devices. You can use this clean and free data recovery software to recover data from SD card or memory card in a few clicks.
Aside from supporting SD card data recovery, this program also lets you retrieve deleted/lost data from Windows PC or laptop, USB flash/pen/thumb drive, external hard drive, SSD, etc.
How to recover deleted files/photos from SD card:
- Go to MiniTool official website to download and install MiniTool Power Data Recovery on your Windows computer.
- Utilize an SD card reader to connect the SD card to your computer.
- Launch the free SD card recovery software MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
- Click Removable Disk Drive in the left panel and select the target SD card in the right window. Alternatively, you can also click This PC and click the SD card drive in the right.
- Click Scan button, and the scan process instantly starts.
- After the scan finishes, you can check the scan result to find the wanted files. Check needed files and click Save button. Select a new and safe destination to store the recovered files.
How to Fix Corrupted SD Card – 8 Tips
Sometimes the SD card can be corrupted and some data on it may get lost. You can try the above method to recover the lost data from SD card. You can also try the tips below to see if they can help fix the corrupted SD card.
Tip 1. Determine if it is the card reader issue. You can try another SD card reader to connect the SD card to your computer to see if it works well.
Tip 2. Check if the SD card is write-protected. If you can’t read and write on the SD card, it might be write-protected. You can check how to remove write protection on SD card.
Tip 3. Find and fix logical errors on the SD card.
- Press Windows + R, type cmd, press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open Command Prompt in Windows 10.
- Type chkdsk *: /f /r, replace “*” with the drive letter of the target SD card, press Enter. Windows CHKDSK will automatically find and fix detected logical errors on the SD card.
Tip 4. Fix the card reader incompatible driver issue.
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager.
- Expand Disk Drives and right-click the target removable device and click Update driver or Uninstall device. You can follow the instructions to update the device driver or reinstall the driver.
Tip 5. Run a virus scan for the SD card or computer.
In case the SD card or your computer is infected with malware or virus, which causes the malfunction on the SD card, you can perform a virus scan for the SD card or the entire computer with the antivirus software.
Tip 6. Use Windows Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can help fix hardware and device problems.
- You can press Windows + R, type “msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic” in the Run dialog, and press Enter to open and run Windows Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
- Select the SD card device and follow the instructions to troubleshoot SD card issues.
Tip 7. Learn how to format SD card.
If the SD card can’t work properly, you can copy needed data to another device and try to use a data recovery application to recover lost data from it. Then you can format the SD card to fix the corrupted SD card.
- You can right-click the SD card in Windows File Explorer and click the Format option.
- Select a file system like NTFS or FAT32.
- Tick Quick Format and click Start to format the SD card.
Alternatively, you can also use some top free disk partition managers like MiniTool Partition Wizard to easily format the SD card for free in a few clicks.
Tip 8. Try some SD card repair tools or services.
To fix a corrupted SD card, you can also try some SD card repair tools and services. You can use Windows built-in Error Checking tool, MiniTool Partition Wizard (with a Check Disk feature), etc. to check and fix SD card errors.
However, if your SD card has some physical damages and can’t be recognized by device or computer. Then you may turn to some professional SD card repair service stores to see if they can help you.
This post mainly introduces a top free data recovery software to help you recover deleted or lost photos, videos, other files from the SD card with ease. If your SD card is corrupted or has some issues, hope the tips included in this post help you fix the corrupted SD card. However, the best way to avoid data loss on storage media is always to have a backup.