In this guide we will discuss how you can install Vivaldi web browser on Ubuntu 20.04/18.04 & Debian 10/9 Linux machine. Vivaldi, officially launched on April 6, 2016 is a freeware web browser developed by Vivaldi Technologies and runs on all platforms. Vivaldi was born with the aim of reviving the features of the Presto-based Opera with its own proprietary modifications.
Features of Vivaldi
According to Vivaldi, the following the top features of this browser.
- Tab Management – Unique features give you full control of how you group and display browser tabs.
- Customization – You can tweak and tune every part of the browser to create your own unique experience.
- User Interface – An adaptive interface lets you adjust the position, size, and appearance of the browser’s UI elements.
- Navigation – Get to where you’re going faster with fully configurable Search options, custom shortcuts and a Bookmark manager fit for power users.
- Mouse & Keyboard – You have the choice to use custom Keyboard Shortcuts, Mouse Gestures or the command line control of Quick Commands.
- Privacy & Security – Vivaldi is built with privacy as a priority and gives you full control of settings critical to keeping your data safe.
- Tools – An arsenal of built-in tools like Notes, Image Properties and more give you advanced functionality without sacrificing performance.
Install Vivaldi Web Browser on Ubuntu / Debian Linux
Vivaldi browser can be installed on Ubuntu / Debian from the apt repository or by manually pulling the .deb package and installing it with dpkg or apt-get command. We’ll use the apt repository method in this guide.
Import the public key for verification of the APT repository packages.
sudo apt update sudo apt -y install wget gnupg2 wget -qO- https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
Run the following command to add the Vivaldi packages repository to your system.
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb/ stable main'
Once the repository is added, update the apt index and install Vivaldi Browser on Ubuntu / Debian Linux:
sudo apt update sudo apt install vivaldi-stable
Confirm Vivaldi browser installation on Debian / Ubuntu Linux.
$ apt policy vivaldi-stable vivaldi-stable: Installed: 2.10.1745.27-1 Candidate: 2.10.1745.27-1 Version table: *** 2.10.1745.27-1 500 500 https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb stable/main amd64 Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Launch Vivaldi on Debian / Ubuntu
You can use your Desktop environment search function to start Vivaldi browser.
Follow the next steps to configure and start using Vivaldi on Debian / Ubuntu Linux.
I hope you have a nice browsing experience with Vivaldi.