Welcome to our Virtualization guide on how to install VirtualBox 6.0 on Kali Linux / Linux Mint 19. VirtualBox is an open source, high-performance Virtualization solution being developed by Oracle Corporation.
For Fedora – How to Install VirtualBox 6 on Fedora
VirtualBox 6.0 New Features
The following major new features were added:
- Implemented support for exporting a virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- User interface: greatly improved HiDPI and scaling support, including better detection and per-machine configuration
- Major rework of user interface with simpler and more powerful application and virtual machine set-up
- User interface: a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
- Graphics: major update of 3D graphics support for Windows guests, and VMSVGA 3D graphics device emulation on Linux and Solaris guests
- Added support for surround speaker setups (as used by Windows 10 Build 1809)
- Added utility vboximg-mount on Apple hosts to access the content of guest disks on the host
- Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid the inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance
Check out the complete list of VirtualBox 6.0 new features on Changelog for VirtualBox 6.0
Install VirtualBox 6.0 on Kali Linux / Linux Mint 19
Below are the steps you need to install VirtualBox 6.0 on Kali Linux / Linux Mint 19.
Step 1: Update your system
Ensure your system is up-to-date.
sudo apt update
sudo apt -y upgrade
Step 2: Import apt repository
Add repository key
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Step 3: Add the VirtualBox Repository
Once the system is updated and Repository key imported, you can add VirtualBox Repository.
echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian stretch contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
Linux Mint 19:
echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
Step 4: Install VirtualBox & Extension pack
Finally, install VirtualBox 6.0 on your Kali Linux / Linux Mint system by running the commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r) dkms sudo apt-get install virtualbox-6.0
Download Extension Pack
cd ~/ wget https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.0.0/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.0.vbox-extpack
You can also download it manually https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Once the file is downloaded, install the extension pack by clicking on the Downloaded file.
Click install and wait for the installation to complete.
Step 5: Launching VirtualBox 6.0
Once VirtualBox is installed, you can launch it using the terminal or Desktop applications search.
From terminal, use:
The new user interface for VirtualBox 6.0 looks like below:
You should now have VirtualBox 6.0 installed on your Kali Linux / Linux Mint s
Ready to start using VirtualBox?, check our guides below: