How to install Tilix on Ubuntu / Debian Linux?. Tilix is a tiling terminal emulator for Linux using GTK+ 3. In this guide, we will look at how to install Tilix terminal emulator on Ubuntu / Debian Linux distribution. Tilix uses the VTE GTK+ 3 widget with the following features:
- Layout terminals in any fashion by splitting them horizontally or vertically
- Terminals can be rearranged using drag and drop both within and between windows
- Terminals can be detached into a new window via drag and drop
- Input can be synchronized between terminals so commands typed in one terminal are replicated to the others
- The grouping of terminals can be saved and loaded from disk
- Terminals support custom titles
- Color schemes are stored in files and custom color schemes can be created by simply creating a new file
- Transparent background
- Background images
- Quake mode support (i.e. drop-down terminal)
- Custom hyperlinks
- Automatic (triggered) profile switches based on hostname and directory
- Supports notifications when processes are completed out of view. Requires the Fedora notification patches for VTE
- Experimental trigger support (Requires patched VTE, see wiki)
- Experimental badge support (Requires patched VTE, see wiki)
Tilix GTK3 tiling terminal emulator can be installed on major Linux distributions such as Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Solus, Arch, openSUSE, Void Linux e.t.c. The main dependencies are:
- GTK 3.18 or later (Tilix 1.8.3 or later, earlier versions supported GTK 3.14)
- GTK VTE 0.42 or later
- Nautilus-Python (Required for Nautilus integration)
Tilix GTK3 tiling terminal emulator on Ubuntu / Debian
$ sudo apt install tilix Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following additional packages will be installed: libgtkd-3-0 libphobos2-ldc-shared82 libvted-3-0 tilix-common Suggested packages: python-nautilus The following NEW packages will be installed: libgtkd-3-0 libphobos2-ldc-shared82 libvted-3-0 tilix tilix-common 0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 78 not upgraded. Need to get 11.0 MB of archives. After this operation, 51.1 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Use your terminal or Applications search menu to launch Tilix terminal.
You can confirm your current terminal with neofetch.
sudo apt -y install neofetch
Once installed, run:
You should receive an output similar to below.
Read the Tilix User Documentation for more customization and features unlocking.