Cinnamon is a free to use desktop environment for the X Window System, originally forked from the GNOME desktop. It is among the best desktop environments for Linux Desktop designed for speed, flexibility and advanced innovative features. The Cinnamon has X-Apps which are based on GNOME Core Applications but changed to work across Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE.
This guide will cover the installation of Cinnamon Desktop Environment on Ubuntu 20.04. The Cinnamon desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2 and makes users feel at home with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.
Cinnamon Desktop Environment is composed a lot of smaller interconnected projects:
- Cinnamon: This is the “shell” of Cinnamon which provides the user interface such as panels, hot corners, menus etc.
- CJS: It provides bindings to GNOME libraries through GObject Introspection
- Cinnamon Control Center: The official control center of Cinnamon in Cinnamon Settings forked from GNOME Control Center.
- Cinnamon Desktop: This is a fork of GNOME desktop which provides certain useful resources for Cinnamon.
- MDM: Cinnamon display manager
- Cinnamon Menus: It contains the
libcinnamon-menulibrary, the layout configuration files for the Cinnamon menu, as well as a simple menu editor.
- Muffin: The window manager of Cinnamon
- Nemo: The file manager of Cinnamon forked from Nautilus.
- Cinnamon Screensaver: The screen locker you see when you leave the session idle for the a long time.
- Cinnamon Session: Responsible for starting the Cinnamon session
- Cinnamon Settings Daemon: It provides many session-wide services and functions that require a long-running process.
- Cinnamon Spices: Modify your Cinnamon desktop environment and extend its features with Cinnamon Spices. Cinnamon supports the following types of spices: Themes, applets, desklets and extensions.
- Cinnamon Translations: Cinnamon translations is a package that contains the translations used in Cinnamon
Install Cinnamon Desktop Environment on Ubuntu 20.04
The Cinnamon Desktop Environment packages for Ubuntu 20.04 are available on the operating system repositories. You just have to update cache and begin the installation.
sudo apt update sudo apt install cinnamon-desktop-environment
There are dozens of packages to be installed and you may need to be patient if your internet speed is not that good.
...... mate-icon-theme mate-themes media-player-info mesa-utils mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers metacity-common muffin muffin-common nautilus-extension-brasero nemo nemo-data nemo-fileroller netpbm ocl-icd-libopencl1 patchutils pidgin pidgin-data policykit-1-gnome python-backports.functools-lru-cache python-bs4 python-chardet python-html5lib python-lxml python-numpy python-pkg-resources python-six python-soupsieve python-webencodings python2 python2-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal python3-mako python3-markupsafe python3-pampy python3-psutil python3-pyinotify python3-setproctitle python3-tinycss python3-uno python3-xapp python3-xlib quadrapassel rake rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-plugin-alternative-toolbar rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins ruby ruby-json ruby-minitest ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert ruby-test-unit ruby-xmlrpc ruby2.7 rubygems-integration shotwell shotwell-common simple-scan sound-juicer spice-client-glib-usb-acl-helper swell-foop synaptic t1utils tali thunderbird timgm6mb-soundfont totem totem-common totem-plugins transmission-common transmission-gtk tree uno-libs-private ure va-driver-all vdpau-driver-all vinagre vino wodim xapps-common 0 upgraded, 582 newly installed, 0 to remove and 123 not upgraded. Need to get 669 MB of archives. After this operation, 2,391 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
After the installation reboot your system
In the login screen select “Cinnamon” in the list of Desktop Environments available.
Provide access credentials to enjoy Cinnamon Desktop Environment on Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop.
Here is my screenfetch output: