In this guide you will install Atom Text Editor on Kali Linux. Atom is a hackable text editor developed by Github using Electron Framework for the 21st century. Atom Text Editor is designed to be deeply customizable, but still approachable using the default configuration.
Key Features of Atom Text Editor
- Cross-platform editing: Runs on Windows, Linux and macOS
- Has built-in package manager: Easily search and install packages to extend Atom features.
- Smart autocompletion: Faster code writing and editing with the help of a smart and flexible autocomplete.
- File system browser: Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.
- Provides Multiple panes: Split your Atom interface into multiple panes to compare and edit code across files
Install Atom Text Editor on Kali Linux
Add Atom official package repository to your system by running the following command.
sudo apt update sudo apt -y install wget gpg sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packagecloud.io/AtomEditor/atom/any/ any main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list'
The repository contents will be stored int the file:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list deb [arch=amd64] https://packagecloud.io/AtomEditor/atom/any/ any main
Import repository GPG key:
wget -qO - https://packagecloud.io/AtomEditor/atom/gpgkey | sudo apt-key add -
Then update apt index and install Atom text editor on Kali Linux Desktop machine.
sudo apt update sudo apt install atom
Accept installation prompt with the y key:
The following NEW packages will be installed: atom gconf-service gconf2-common gvfs-bin libgconf-2-4 The following packages will be upgraded: gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-common gvfs-daemons gvfs-fuse gvfs-libs 6 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 814 not upgraded. Need to get 115 MB of archives. After this operation, 630 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Launch Atom Text Editor on Kali Linux
Wait for the installation to finish then start Atom from your Desktop Launcher.
You can then install the plugins to extend Atom functionality.