In this guide, we’ll look at you can install Apache OpenOffice in Kali Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and Fedora. Apache OpenOffice is a free office Utility for Linux, Windows and macOS. Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are the common and most adopted Microsoft Office alternatives for Linux users.
Installing OpenOffice on Linux is simplified through the provision of OS specific packages. For Debian based systems you’ll use .deb packages, and Red Hat based systems uses .rpm packages during installation.
Apache OpenOffice components
- Writer a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
- Calc a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
- Impress the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
- Draw lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
- Base lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within Apache OpenOffice.
- Math lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.
Install OpenOffice on Kali Linux|Ubuntu|Debian|CentOS|Fedora
To install Apache OpenOffice follow the steps below
- Download Apache OpenOffice latest version of Apache OpenOffice Homepage
- On the download page, select the Debian version, (64-bit or 32-bit).
You can download the file from web page or using wget command line tool:
2. Extract downloaded OpenOffice archive file using the following command:
tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.9_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
3. Change to en-US/DEBS folder created after extracting the file.
4. Install OpenOffice by running the command:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Wait for the installation to finish.You will get OpenOffice suit at Applications> Office.
Installing OpenOffice on Red Hat, CentOS or Fedora
Download Linux 64-bit RPM version of OpenOffice from the downloads page.
Once the file is downloaded, extract with the command:
tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.9_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
Ensure that you don’t have any previous installations of OpenOffice.
sudo yum remove openoffice* libreoffice*
For Fedora, run:
sudo dnf --setopt=clean_requirements_on_remove=false remove libreoffice\*
Then navigate to the RPMS subdirectory under en-US folder.
You should see a lot of rpms here and one sub-directory called “desktop-integration“.
Install the OpenOffice RPMs using the command:
sudo rpm -Uvih *rpm sudo rpm -Uvih desktop-integration/openoffice*.rpm
Thanks for reading, hope this article was of benefit to you.
Similar guides systems.
- How to install OpenOffice on Kali Linux
- How to install OpenOffice on Linux
- How to install OpenOffice on Ubuntu
- How to install OpenOffice on Debian
- Install and update OpenOffice on CentOS
- How to install and Update OpenOffice on Linux