Question: How can I install Monica CRM on Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian 10 Linux?. Monica is an open source web-based Personal Relationship Manager application to organize the interactions with your loved ones.
Monica CRM helps you keep track of everything that’s important about their friends and family. This application is for people who have a hard time remembering details about other people’s lives – especially the ones they care about.
In this guide, we’ll see how you can install and use Monica CRM on Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian system.
Monica PRM Principles
- It should help have better relationships.
- It should be simple to use, simple to contribute to, simple to understand, extremely simple to maintain.
- It is not a social network and shall never be.
- It is not and will never be ad-supported.
- Users are not and will never be tracked.
- It should be transparent.
- It should be open-source.
- It should do one thing (documenting social interactions) extremely well, and nothing more.
- It should be well documented.
Features of Monica Personal Relationship Manager
The features of Monica PRM as stated on Github page are:
- Add and manage contacts
- Define relationships between contacts
- Auto reminders for birthdays
- Stay in touch with a contact by sending reminders at a given interval
- Management of debts
- Ability to add notes to a contact
- Ability to indicate how you’ve met someone
- Management of activities done with a contact
- Management of tasks
- Management of gifts
- Management of addresses and all the different ways to contact someone
- Management of contact field types
- Management of contact pets
- Basic journal
- Ability to indicate how the day went
- Export and import of data
- Export a contact as vCard
- Ability to set custom genders
- Ability to define custom activity types
- Ability to favorite contacts
- Track conversations made on social media or SMS
- Labels to organize contacts
- Ability to define what section should appear on the contact sheet
- An API that covers most of the data
- We also have official mobile apps, also open source
Monical setup Requirements
- PHP 7.1+ or newer
- HTTP server with PHP support (eg: Apache, Nginx, Caddy)
- MySQL Database
Install Monica CRM on Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian 10 Linux
This section will cover installation of Monica PRM dependencies and deployment of the actual application on your Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian server.
Step 1: Install PHP and Composer
Start by installing PHP 7.2 on Ubuntu and compose dependency manager for PHP
sudo apt install -y git php php-intl php-json php-cli php-fpm php-mysql php-zip php-gd php-mbstring php-curl php-xml php-pear php-bcmath
When done, install composer
sudo apt -y install composer
Step 2: Install MariaDB Server
Install MariaDB using the guide:
Once MariaDB service is running, log in with the root account to configure the database.
$ mysql -uroot -p CREATE DATABASE monica; CREATE USER 'monica'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'StrongPassword'; GRANT ALL ON monica.* TO 'monica'@'localhost'; FLUSH PRIVILEGES; exit
Step 3: Install Monica CRM on Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian 10 Linux
Now download Monica fro Github and configure it.
cd /srv git clone https://github.com/monicahq/monica.git cd monica
Create environment variable file and modify
.env variables to your specific needs.
APP_URL=http://crm.example.com DB_DATABASE=monica DB_USERNAME=monica DB_PASSWORD=StrongPassword
Install all PHP packages by running:
composer install --no-interaction --no-suggest --no-dev
Generate an application key and set
APP_KEY with the right value automatically.
php artisan key:generate
Run the migrations, seed the database and symlink folders:
$ php artisan setup:production You are about to setup and configure Monica. Do you wish to continue? (yes/no) [no]: > yes ----------------------------- | | Welcome to Monica v2.9.0 | ----------------------------- | You can now register to the first account by opening the application: | URL: http://prm.example.com ----------------------------- Setup is done. Have fun.
Finally, create the access tokens required for the API (Optional).
$ php artisan passport:install Encryption keys generated successfully. Personal access client created successfully. Client ID: 1 Client Secret: DpJ3uuf67tceR2V7Jl1ljLOfv80e3kM1DfWBACs4 Password grant client created successfully. Client ID: 2 Client Secret: kWzG5MDdOThWYgSDnCiiYZzxdasmzGiPFOijI3dK
Step 4: Configure a cron job
Monica requires some background processes to continuously run, setup a cron that runs every minute to trigger the command
php artisan schedule:run.
echo "* * * * * www-data /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/monica/artisan schedule:run" | sudo tee /etc/cron.d/monica
Step 5: Configure Apache web server
Install Apache web server by running:
sudo apt install apache2 libapache2-mod-php
Enable the rewrite module of the Apache web server:
sudo a2enmod rewrite sudo systemctl restart apache2
Configure a new Monica Virtual Host site in apache by doing:
sudo vim /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/monica.conf
Populate the file with data:
<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName prm.example.com ServerAdmin [email protected] DocumentRoot /srv/monica/public <Directory /srv/monica/public> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All Require all granted </Directory> ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/monica_error.log CustomLog /var/log/apache2/monica_access.log combined </VirtualHost>
Set proper permissions for Web directory
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /srv/monica sudo chmod -R 775 /srv/monica/storage
Check apache configuration syntax then restart Apache web service
$ sudo apachectl -t Syntax OK $ sudo systemctl restart apache2
The final step is to access Monica web interface on
http://prm.example.com. You’ll be required to create admin user on first access:
After clicking the Register button, you’ll get a welcome page
You should be ready to add your Friends and family members contacts.
Thanks for using our guide to install Monica CRM on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Debian 10 (Buster) Linux. I hope this tool helps you keep in touch with old friends and have a balanced job/family time.