In this guide, we’ll look at Installing the latest Apache OpenOffice on CentOS 8 / RHEL 8 Desktop operating system. OpenOffice is one of the best freely available, fully-featured office productivity suite. It is the successor projects of OpenOffice.org and the designated successor of IBM Lotus Symphony.
If you’re looking for Microsoft Office or LibreOffice alternative, then Apache OpenOffice is your go to tool. OpenOffice comes with its own file formats and is able to read and save Microsoft Office file formats.
Among the features and tools provided by OpenOffice are:
- Writer a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
- Calc a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
- Impress the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
- Draw lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
- Base lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within Apache OpenOffice.
- Math lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.
Install Apache OpenOffice on RHEL 8 / CentOS 8
The Apache OpenOffice RPM packages are available for installation on RHEL / CentOS 8 Desktop system. All you need to do is download archive, extract it and install all available RPM packages distributed.
Step 1: Update system
To ensure we don’t get any dependency issues, let’s update our CentOS 8 / RHEL 8 system.
sudo dnf -y update
Step 2: Install Java
Java is required to run OpenOffice on CentOS 8 / RHEL 8 Linux. Install Java on your system using our guide below.
Confirm Java version after the installation.
$ java -version openjdk version "1.8.0_222" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_222-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.222-b10, mixed mode)
Step 3: Download Apache OpenOffice archive
Download the latest release of Apache OpenOffice from Apache OpenOffice Downloads section. As of the writing of this article, the latest release is 4.1.7. Please check current version on the link provided before starting the download.
Use wget, curl command or web browser to download the latest release of Apache OpenOffice on CentOS 8 / RHEL 8 Linux.
Extract downloaded file.
tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
Ensure that you don’t have any installed version of OpenOffice.
sudo yum remove openoffice*
Step 4: Install Apache OpenOffice on RHEL 8 / CentOS 8
Install the OpenOffice RPM packages on your CentOS / RHEL Desktop using the command:
cd en-US/RPMS sudo rpm -Uvih *rpm
Also Desktop Integration package.
sudo rpm -Uvih desktop-integration/openoffice4.1.7-redhat-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch.rpm
Search OpenOffice Application to launch.