Online are among the most popular form of online gambling, due to the ease with which they can be played. There are no complicated rules, no strategies to master, and the games are fun, with bright colours and themes, catchy sounds, and entertaining animations.
All online slots are played against the computer, with a random number generator (RNG) choosing the values you see on the reels. This means you don’t have to deal with human opponents and benefit from play simplicity. Learning to beat another human is much harder than just playing a solo game.
Before you get stuck in, here’s our top tips on what to consider when choosing which slots to play.
Pick a Top Site
Always use a reputable online slot site for added features
There are dozens of online slot sites on the internet, but users will benefit most from playing on reputable sites with unique offerings.
The best slot providers use efficient search functions to help players narrow down their options. You can filter your slots by big name developers like NetEnt and Red Tiger, and others that are exclusive to the online casino.
There is one particular casino operator we liked most as they retain their popularity among avid slot players thanks to providing more than 1,000 games, many of which are unique and make their own online slots with pool progressive jackpots. Players can simply scroll over the slot they want and find the maximum and minimum bets, as well as how many paylines it has or additional bonus features, all without leaving the main page. They certainly designed the site with their users in mind!
There are a few things you need to be aware of in order to make the most of your online slot experience. From what terms like ‘RTP’, ‘scatter’ and ‘wild’ mean, to a complete breakdown of the different features you will find on online slots, we’ve got you covered.
Talk the Talk
Like other games, slots have their own language for the features of the game and the events that can occur. Here are some of the most common:
- Bet – the money you wager on the spin
- Paylines – the number of ways you can win. Paylines typically join five symbols from left to right across the screen, and if a winning combination of icons lands on a selected payline, then you win the prize. Activating multiple paylines can lead to you winning more than once from the same spin – but remember that you need to pay for each one.
- Max Bet – the most you can wager on each spin, with all the paylines activated.
- Multiplier – increases your win potential by the given value, so a 2x multiplier will double your winnings. These are a great way to get big winnings quickly.
- Scatter symbols – these are special symbols that will give you a bonus even if they’re not connected on a payline.
- Wild symbols – these wildcards can substitute for any symbol, making it easier for you to get 3, 4, or 5 in a row.
- RTP – stands for Return to Player and is a way of working out how likely slots are to pay winnings. An RTP of 95% means that you should get 95% of your bets back over time – of course this number is theoretical, and you could win more or less. The higher the RTP, the more you are likely to win on a slot.
- Pay Table – lists all the different winning combinations and how much they are worth.
- Volatility – Measures how often the slot pays out. A slot with low volatility will give frequent, small wins, and one with high volatility will rarely pay out, but when it does it will be big.
Because online slots are entirely digital, it’s easier for them to have extra features that you wouldn’t find in a casino. Bonus rounds often involve minigames, for example, picking a winning box, taking part in a battle, or rolling dice to move along a track. These extra features add another layer of excitement to the game and can make you feel more in control of your winnings, as you are actively taking part.
Bonus rounds are full of really great prizes like free spins, multipliers, and even on-the-spot jackpots. Most slots have a combination of different features including bonus rounds, scatter symbols, and jackpots. The more you play, the more you’ll work out which bonus features you find more exciting, and then you can search for slots which have them.
Online slots are a great way to have fun
There are many different slots to choose from, so have fun trying different styles until you find one you like. With varying volatility, different rates of RTP, and a wide assortment of bonuses to choose from, you’re sure to find the right combination for you.