First off, how did we get here? It all began on the 14th of April 2020. All Gambling Operators with a license from the United Kingdom Gambling Commission, following directives, could no longer allow payments using credit cards for gambling.
This development is consequent upon the statement from the Gambling Commission on 14 January 2020, just three months earlier. On the back of this directive, from 16 April 2020, all betting deals using credit cards, especially when they are perceived to be for gambling reasons, will be blocked.
Hence, banks and other prominent financial institutions began to devise means to assist their clientele in different ways. Chief amongst the measures that have been crafted is mobile banking apps that help to block gambling transactions effortlessly.
With these mobile banking apps, you as a betting enthusiast can now relish total control over what you spend on your gambling activities. Some casinos that are not on Gamstop may allow you to continue playing even while being self-excluded. NonStopCasino.org considers this way of blocking non Gamstop casinos really effective. And for this text, we will run through five of these mobile banking apps, and expose you to the rudiments of the process. Follow through!
It is even a simpler method if you are a customer of Lloyds Bank.
- First, after downloading the mobile banking app, go to the app’s Home screen, click on ‘More’ and select ‘Card Management’
- After that, proceed to select ‘Card Freezes’
- Select the card you wish to apply the restriction on and turn the freeze option on or off depending on whether you wish to place the restriction or cancel it out.
It is that simple. In no time, the modifications will be effective. You can update this setting anytime you log into the app.
To activate a restriction on gambling payments using the Halifax Mobile Banking app, follow these steps:
- Download the mobile banking app and set it up.
- Register to use the Mobile Banking app
- When you launch the Mobile Banking app, click on the ‘More’ option on the home screen and select ‘Card Management’
- Move to the ‘Card Freezes’ category and choose ‘Freeze gambling’.
This move by these banks is in a bid to encourage and assist their clients in controlling the amount they spend on bets from time to time. Hence they added this fresh feature to their mobile banking services.
Their banking apps now enable you as a customer to willingly add or withdraw constraints around your betting activities, when you make use of your debit cards and your Pay by Bank app.
The inclusion of this gambling restriction allows bar transactions made to any gambling operator; whether online gambling operators, casinos, or other trades like The Postcode Lottery.
Note also, that you hold the right to place the restrictions only based on your personal data. You are not allowed to place this restriction on behalf of someone else. Other terms and conditions apply as well.
Royal Bank of Scotland
If you are not happy with your expenses on gambling and you are a customer of the Royal Bank of Scotland, you can regain that power you have over your credit card by setting up a gambling block through these three basic steps.
- Download the app first. Launch the app and select your account, before you opt for the ‘Manage my card’ option amongst the list of selections available.
- Go on to choose ‘Lock card settings’ from the next array of options displaying on your screen.
- Finally, punch in the ‘Gambling transactions’ button to apply the restriction.
You will receive a message to confirm that your card has been blocked from gambling-related transactions.
We begin with the HSBC bank. If you want to apply or cancel a gambling restriction on and HSBC bank debit card, all you have to do is to follow these straightforward steps:
- Download the HSBC UK Mobile Banking app.
- Launch the app with your Digital Secure Key
- Choose ‘Account details’, then select the ‘Manage cards’ option.
- Proceed to choose, ‘Gambling restrictions’
- Choose any of the cards eligible for this process, the one that you wish to restrict from functioning for any gambling-related activity.
- Take your time to study the information displaying on your screen
- After you’re certain you have studied the information, select ‘Turn on restriction’ to validate that you will like to begin
- Go over the steps again for other eligible cards you wish to add a restriction to.
- To withdraw a betting restriction, go through the same step above and click on ‘Turn off restriction’ to cancel out the restriction on the applicable card.
To control which merchant you can make payments to using your card to control your spending, follow these steps:
- When you click on ‘Quick links’ on your mobile app’s home screen, select the ‘Cards’ option.
- Choose your debit card (you can only choose one)
- Then, click on the ‘Merchant control’ icon.
- Specify the sections you wish to restrict
- Restrict the retailer by making use of the toggle.
NOTE: You must be at least 16 years old before you can use this bank’s mobile app.