If you just downloaded Kali Linux 2.0 and want to run it on Vmware Workstation you’ll have to install Vmware tools on the guest os to keep going. Doing so requires few commands to be executed and get done.
Follow the following steps to successfully install VMware tools on Kali guest os.
1) The first thing is to make sure have running version of VMware player or VMware workstation.If you are a windows guy then installation is just direct.For Linux users I wrote an article on How to install Vmware Player and Workstation on Linux and Any linux( Kali Linux 2.0 included).
2) Then Make sure your Kali Linux have correct sources.list file, if on kali Linux 2.0 just:
cat << EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list # Regular Repositories deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security sana/updates main contrib non-free # Source repositories deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security sana/updates main contrib non-free EOF
For Kali Linux 1.x read Top Ten Must Do Things After Installing Kali Linux
3) Do system update
sudo apt-get update
4) Make sure gcc,git and linux kernel headers are installed on your Kali linux guest os.
sudo apt-get install git gcc make linux-headers-$(uname -r)
5) Create directory we’ll use
# cd ~ # mkdir vmwaretools # cd vmwaretools
6) Download vmware-tools patches from git
# git clone https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches.git # cd vmware-tools-patches
7)On your Vmware Munu, go to Menu>VM>Install Vmware Tools. This will mount vmwaretools on your Kali Linux guest. Now
8) Copy VMwareTools to the directory containing git downloaded tools
# cp -r /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-* . # ./untar-and-patch-and-compile.sh
That’s all, now reboot your Kali Linux 2.0 guest.
sudo init 6
How to run Vmware on Kali Linux
How to install vmware tools on kali Linux
How to fix small screen on Kali Linux 2.0 guest os
Running Debian 8 on vmware without problems
Using Kali Linux on Vmware Workstation and Vmware Player.