Studying for a Master in Data Science at a regular US university costs from $21,000 to $75,000 per annum. Even online courses in this specialty can cost a pretty penny.
But there are free ways to learn more about analytics and Data Science. Here we mean books, all kinds of specialized resources, YouTube channels, and blogs of well-known and not-so-famous developers.
Check our selection of resources on Data Science that will help beginners delve into the basics, and advanced specialists boost their skills.
The book is perfect for beginners and those who are afraid of complex formulas and statistics. Each chapter is devoted to a specific algorithm, with a description of how it works and, importantly, examples of use. The “Glossary”, as well as illustrations, helps to drink in learning neural networks and A/B tests.
Numsense! Data Science for the Layman: No Math Added
The second edition of the popular book contains an intensive course in Python, elements of statistics, linear algebra, probability theory, the basics of working with recommender systems, and much more. Beginners who want to delve into social media analysis techniques, database fundamentals, and SQL should definitely purchase it. This is perhaps, one of the most powerful and useful books for start.
Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python
43 used from $3.21
The book is for those who already know how to conduct data analysis and learn to visualize the results. It teaches the backbone of data visualization and clearly shows how to apply the process in creating presentations. Contains real examples of visualization and their analysis.
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
$19.73 in stock
45 used from $13.92
A great option for those who want to learn how to use the Hadoop toolbox in practice. All in all, this is a collection of case studies on how Hadoop solves specific problems. It provides a detailed analysis of each study and explains how to use the tools in different situations. The book will teach you how to use the Hadoop Distributed File System to store large data, create and configure Hadoop clusters.
Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
$40.36 in stock
79 used from $1.90
Please note that you need to know at least the basics of mathematical statistics and the R language, as well as basic knowledge of the general topic to enjoy the book and learn something new. A witty and understandable tone will help you quickly tackle topics such as exploratory data analysis, statistical experimentation, significance testing, regression, classification, machine learning, and unsupervised learning.
Practical Statistics for Data Scientists: 50 Essential Concepts
39 used from $18.99
Industry blogs of international companies
- The Airbnb Tech Blog. On a tech blog, guys write about machine learning, data, mobile development, open-source solutions, and much more. It is easy to read, useful for both beginners and professionals.
- B.log. Using tags, you can find a lot of high-quality content for computer geeks in the blog of the Booking company. There are notes about data science, tutorials on design, programming, and product development cases.
- Uber Engineering. If you’re interested in open source solutions, artificial intelligence tools, machine learning, analytics, and data, feel free to join the blog of the popular American taxi company.
- Kaggle. Kaggle is a platform for researchers of all levels, where they can test their data analysis models. The essence of this resource lies not only in the cash prize if your model turns out to be the most effective, but also (and this is perhaps much more important) in gaining experience and data analysis skills.
- DataCamp. Here you’ll find tutorials and blogs on data science, with a specific focus on data science learning from top-notch experts and enthusiasts.
- ODS AI YouTube channel. An awesome video blog where guys from all over the world talk about open data science and everything related to it.
Bonus: Super Helpful Articles
We hope, this article will be helpful for those going to comprehend the highly sought area. Good luck!