Solr is the popular, blazing-fast, open source enterprise search platform built on Apache Lucene. In case you have lots of data you would wish to index, search as fast as possible, secure, monitor, scale name it. The Apache Solr is what you should be looking for.
As it has been lightly touched on, Solr is fault tolerant, scalable, highly reliable software that provides distributed indexing, replication and load-balanced querying. Apart from that you also get automated failover and recovery, a central place for your configuration among many other features we shall peep at in a jiffy. It is the silent giant that is used in many of the world’s largest internet sites powering their search and navigation features.
Features of Apache Solr
Apache Solr has its own respects where it is employed in various use cases due to the following prominent features that make it amazing:
- Advanced Full-Text Search Capabilities
Powered by Lucene™, Solr enables powerful matching capabilities including phrases, wildcards, joins, grouping and much more across any data type
- Optimized for High Volume Traffic
Solr is proven at extremely large scales the world over
- Standards Based Open Interfaces – XML, JSON and HTTP
Solr uses the tools you use to make application building a snap
- Comprehensive Administration Interfaces
Solr ships with a built-in, responsive administrative user interface to make it easy to control your Solr instances
- Easy Monitoring
Need more insight into your instances? Solr publishes loads of metric data via JMX
- Extensible Plugin Architecture
Solr publishes many well-defined extension points that make it easy to plugin both index and query time plugins.
- Near Real-Time Indexing
Want to see your updates now? Solr takes advantage of Lucene’s Near Real-Time Indexing capabilities to make sure you see your content when you want to see it
- Highly Scalable and Fault Tolerant
Built on the battle-tested Apache Zookeeper, Solr makes it easy to scale up and down. Solr bakes in replication, distribution, rebalancing and fault tolerance out of the box.
- Security built right in
Secure Solr with SSL, Authentication and Role based Authorization. Pluggable, of course!
- Monitorable Logging
Easily access Solr’s log files from the admin interface
- Multiple search indices
Solr supports multi-tenant architectures, making it easy to isolate users and content.
- And much much more you are about to discover.
Without taking much time, let us look at some of the resources in form of books that you can rely on to learn, grasp and start your Solr journey. They include the following:
1. Solr Cookbook – Third Edition
Author Rafal Kuc divided this book into ten chapters covering important topics such as “Solr configuration”, “performance optimization” or “SolrCloud“. Starting with vital information on setting up Solr, you will quickly progress to analyzing your text data through querying and performance improvement.
With the help of intermediate and advanced recipes, you will learn how to index data and query Solr. Then, you will deep dive into faceting and learn how to improve Solr’s performance. You will also work with SolrCloud clusters and will get to grips with the advanced functionalities of Solr. Finally, you will explore real-life situations, where Solr can be used to simplify daily collection handling. By the end of this book, you will be able to produce enhanced, optimized, and powerful results by implementing pro-level practices and techniques.
What You Will Learn
- Acquire the skills needed to index your data in different formats, forms, and sources
- Overcome common problems while analyzing your data
- Use the faceting mechanism to get aggregated information about your data
- Improve your Solr instance and Solr cluster performance
- Get to know how to configure and use SolrCloud
- Make use of the highlighting and document grouping functionalities
- Diagnose and resolve problems with Solr instances and clusters
- Implement different autocomplete functionalities
This book is for intermediate Solr Developers who are willing to learn and implement Pro-level practices, techniques, and solutions. This edition will specifically appeal to developers who wish to quickly get to grips with the changes and new features of Apache Solr 5
Solr Cookbook - Third Edition
6 used from $39.00
2. Mastering Apache Solr 7.x
A product of three minds of Sandeep Nair, Chintan Mehta, and Dharmesh Vasoya, this is a practical guide in building expertise with Indexing, Faceting, Clustering and Pagination. The authors target developers, software engineers, data engineers and database architects who are building or seeking to build enterprise-wide effective search engines for business intelligence.
To begin with, you will be introduced to how you perform full text search, multiple filter search, perform dynamic clustering and so on helping you to brush up the basics of Apache Solr. You will explore the new features and advanced options released in Apache Solr 7.x which will get you numerous performance aspects and making data investigation simpler, easier and powerful.
You will learn to build complex queries, extensive filters and how are they compiled in your system to bring relevance in your search tools. You will learn to carry out Solr scoring, elements affecting the document score and how you can optimize or tune the score for the application at hand. You will learn to extract features of documents, writing complex queries in re-ranking the documents. That is just the sneak peek of the resource. Below are much more that you will be able to glean therein.
What you will learn
- Design schema using schema API to access data in the database
- Advance querying and fine-tuning techniques for better performance
- Get to grips with indexing using Client API
- Set up a fault tolerant and highly available server with newer distributed capabilities, SolrCloud
- Explore Apache Tika to upload data with Solr Cell
- Understand different data operations that can be done while indexing
- Master advanced querying through Velocity Search UI, faceting and Query Re-ranking, pagination and spatial search
If you have prior experience of Apache Solr or Java programming, then you are ready to take the best of this book. Deepen your Apache Solr expertise with this well documented book. You can get it from Amazon below.
Mastering Apache Solr 7.x: An expert guide to advancing, optimizing, and scaling your enterprise search
2 used from $32.50
3. Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server
This book written by a combination of four authors is a comprehensive resource for just about everything Solr has to offer. It will take you from first exposure to development and deployment in no time. Even if you wish to use Solr 5, you should find the information to be just as applicable due to Solr’s high regard for backward compatibility. The book includes some useful information specific to Solr 5.
Apart from that, this book comes with complete running examples to demonstrate its use and show how to integrate Solr with other languages and frameworks including Hadoop. With more perspectives from authors who have worked with Solr for a long time, the following are more skills, expertise and knowledge that you will enjoy from Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server.
What You Will Take Home
- Design a schema to include text indexing details such as tokenization, stemming, and synonyms
- Import data from databases using various formats including CSV and XML and extract text from different document formats
- Search using Solr’s rich query syntax, perform geospatial searches, “join” relationally, and influence relevancy order
- Build a query auto-complete/suggester capability with knowledge of the fundamental types of suggestion and ways to implement them
- Enhance standard searches with faceting for navigation or analytics
- Deploy Solr to production taking into account logging, security, and monitoring
- Tune Solr and use SolrCloud for horizontal scalability
For developers who want to learn how to get the most out of Solr in their applications, whether you are new to the field, have used Solr but don’t know everything, or simply want a good reference, this is the resource just for you. It would be helpful to have some familiarity with basic programming concepts, but no prior experience is required. So do not worry if you feel that this is not for you, grab it and begin your studies as soon as possible. You can have your copy delivered from Amazon below.
Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server - Third Edition
4. Solr in Action
Written by Trey Grainger, and Timothy Potter, Solr in Action is a comprehensive guide to implementing scalable search using Apache Solr. It will walk you through well-documented examples ranging from basic keyword searching to scaling a system for billions of documents and queries as well as give you a deep understanding of how to implement core Solr capabilities.
You will master topics like text analysis, faceted search, hit highlighting, result grouping, query suggestions, multilingual search, advanced geospatial and data operations, and relevancy tuning.
Promising Take Aways
- How to scale Solr for big data
- Rich real-world examples
- Solr as a NoSQL data store
- Advanced multilingual, data, and relevancy tricks
- Coverage of versions through Solr 4.7
This book is good for you if you have basic knowledge of Java and standard database technology without any prior knowledge of Solr or Lucene. Jump to Amazon as soon as possible and wear the good gear of Apache Solr below.
Solr in Action
$39.79 in stock
20 used from $4.63
5. Mastering Apache Solr
Author Mathieu Nayrolles learned how important good technical resources are and settled to give his readers a good book to learn about Apache Solr. His work, Mastering Apache Solr, is a practical, hands-on guide containing crisp, relevant, systematically arranged, and progressive chapters. It starts with an introduction to Apache Solr, its underlying technologies, the main differences between the classical database engines, and gradually moves to more advance topics like boosting performance.
The author takes you under the hood of a large number of topics and discuss answers to pertinent questions like why denormalize data, how to import classical databases’ data inside Apache Solr, how to serve Solr through five different web servers, and how to optimize them to serve Solr even faster.
Mastering Apache Solr will empower you to provide a world-class search experience to your end users through the discovery of the powerful mechanisms presented in this book. It is all available to you once you have this book in your hands and resting in your library. To make that possible, the link below will take you to Amazon where you can purchase and get it delivered to you.
Mastering Apache Solr: A practical guide to get to grips with Apache Solr
6. Taming Text
Authored by three accomplished individuals, Grant S. Ingersoll, Thomas S. Morton, and Drew Farris introduce you to useful techniques like full-text search, proper name recognition, clustering, tagging, information extraction, and summarization in this Taming Text resource.
The book is a winner of the 2013 Jolt Awards for Productivity, is a hands-on, example-driven guide to working with unstructured text in the context of real-world applications. Taming Text explores how to automatically organize text using approaches such as full-text search, proper name recognition, clustering, tagging, information extraction, and summarization. The book guides you through examples illustrating each of these topics, as well as the foundations upon which they are built.
You will explore real use cases as you systematically absorb the foundations upon which they are built. Written in a clear and concise style, this book avoids jargon, explaining the subject in terms you can understand without a background in statistics or natural language processing. Examples are in Java, but the concepts can be applied in any language.
Major Take Aways
- When to use text-taming techniques
- Important open-source libraries like Solr and Mahout
- How to build text-processing applications
If you are a developer and would wish to enrich your applications with the blazing capabilities of optimized search and introduction to tools like Apache Solr, this is the right resource for you. Head over to Amazon below and get your hands on Taming Text.
Taming Text: How to Find, Organize, and Manipulate It
$39.37 in stock
44 used from $1.50
7. Scaling Big Data with Hadoop and Solr
Author Hrishikesh Vijay Karambelkar, an innovator and an enterprise architect with 16 years of software design and development experience has come up with a step-by-step guide that will teach you how to build a high performance enterprise search while scaling data with Hadoop and Solr in an effortless manner.
This book will help you learn everything you need to know to build a distributed enterprise search platform as well as optimize this search to a greater extent, resulting in the maximum utilization of available resources. Starting with the basics of Apache Hadoop and Solr, the book covers advanced topics of optimizing search with some interesting real-world use cases and sample Java code.
What You Will Learn
- Understand Apache Hadoop, its ecosystem, and Apache Solr
- Explore industry-based architectures by designing a big data enterprise search with their applicability and benefits
- Integrate Apache Solr with big data technologies such as Cassandra to enable better scalability and high availability for big data
- Optimize the performance of your big data search platform with scaling data
- Write MapReduce tasks to index your data
- Configure your Hadoop instance to handle real-world big data problems
- Work with Hadoop and Solr using real-world examples to benefit from their practical usage
- Use Apache Solr as a NoSQL database
In case you a developer, designer, or architect who would like to build big data enterprise search solutions for your customers or organizations, grab Scaling Big Data with Hadoop and Solr from Amazon below. Do not worry, no prior knowledge of Apache Hadoop and Apache Solr technologies is required.
Scaling Big Data with Hadoop and Solr - Second Edition
5 used from $40.99
8. Apache Solr Essentials
Apache Solr Essentials by Andrea Gazzarini is a fast-paced guide to help you quickly learn the process of creating a scalable, efficient, and powerful search application. The book starts off by explaining the fundamentals of Solr and then goes on to cover various topics such as data indexing, ways of extending Solr, client APIs and their indexing and data searching capabilities, an introduction to the administration, monitoring, and tuning of a Solr instance, as well as the concepts of sharding and replication. Next, you’ll learn about various Solr extensions and how to contribute to the Solr community. By the end of this book, you will be able to create excellent search applications with the help of Solr.
What You Will Learn
- Index your data using formats such as XML, JSON, and CSV
- Manage, monitor, and tune a Solr instance
- Deploy Apache Solr in different environments, depending upon your project requirements
- Refine your search with various Solr client APIs
- Create custom components by leveraging the Apache Solr extension points
- Understand and utilize replication and sharding methods in a distributed search system
- Create and customize your own Solr instance for your project
If you are a competent developer with experience of working with technologies similar to Apache Solr, familiar with the Java programming language and want to develop efficient search applications, then this book is for you. It is all waiting for you in Amazon and if you would only click on the link below, then you will be able to purchase and get it delivered to your personal collection.
Apache Solr Essentials
3 used from $25.99
Having a sound understanding of Apache Solr gives you an edge in your career as a developer, designer, or architect. You will be able to build systems that are blazingly fast and backed with resilient search databases for your particular use-case.