.NET is a free, cross-platform, open source developer platform for building many different types of applications. With .NET, you can use multiple languages, editors, and libraries to build for web, mobile, desktop, games, and IoT. Moreover, you can write your .NET apps in C#, F#, or Visual Basic.
This high level of flexibility that .NET proffers makes it one of the most used platforms to develop and ship all kinds of applications that you can think of. It is rich, well documented, well supported by Microsoft and according to many of its users, the platform is easy to learn. To be the one making comments about it, we are going to explore some resources you can use to learn, to be comfortable and excel in .NET using C#. Read along to get acquainted.
1. C# in Depth
Jon Skeet is a Java developer working for Google in London. He is a C# author and community leader, spending far too much time on the Stack Overflow developer question and answer site. Burdened by the need to educate and share his knowledge and expertise, Jon blesses his readers with this deep book.
Packed with deep insight from this C# guru, this book takes you deep into concepts and features other C# books ignore. It is an authoritative and engaging guide that reveals the full potential of the language, including the new features of C# 6 and 7. It combines deep dives into the C# language with practical techniques for enterprise development, web applications, and systems programming. As you absorb the wisdom and techniques in this book, you will write better code, and become an exceptional troubleshooter and problem solver.
What You Will Learn
- Comprehensive guidance on the new features of C# 6 and 7
- Important legacies and greatest hits of C# 2–5
- Expression-bodied members
- Extended pass-by-reference functionality
- Writing asynchronous C# code
- String interpolation
- Composition with tuples
- Decomposition and pattern matching
Get into the journey leading to writing better code, and becoming an exceptional troubleshooter and problem solver. Click below to get this ticket and begin the journey:
C# in Depth: Fourth Edition
$38.16 in stock
13 used from $28.22
2. C# 8.0 and .NET Core 3.0
Among many other accreditations, Mark J. Price, the author, is a Microsoft Specialist: Programming in C# and Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions, with more than 20 years of educational and programming experience. This latest edition under his hands uses the popular Visual Studio Code editor to work across all major operating systems. It is fully updated and expanded with new chapters on Content Management Systems (CMS) and machine learning with ML.NET.
The book covers all the topics you need. The first part teaches the fundamentals of C#, including object-oriented programming, and new C# 8.0 features such as nullable reference types, simplified switch pattern matching, and default interface methods. The second part covers the .NET Standard APIs, such as managing and querying data, monitoring and improving performance, working with the filesystem, async streams, serialization, and encryption. Third part provides examples of cross-platform applications you can build and deploy, such as web apps using ASP.NET Core or mobile apps using Xamarin.Forms.
The book introduces three technologies for building Windows desktop applications including Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), and Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, as well as web applications, web services, and mobile apps.
What you will learn
- Build cross-platform applications for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android
- Explore application development with C# 8.0 and .NET Core 3.0
- Explore ASP.NET Core 3.0 and create professional web applications
- Learn object-oriented programming and C# multitasking
- Query and manipulate data using LINQ
- Use Entity Framework Core and work with relational databases
- Discover Windows app development using the Universal Windows Platform and XAML
- Build mobile applications for iOS and Android using Xamarin.Forms
Get more than 20 years of educational and programming experience shared by Mark Price in this elegant piece from Amazon.
C# 8.0 and .NET Core 3.0 – Modern Cross-Platform Development: Build applications with C#, .NET Core, Entity Framework Core, ASP.NET Core, and ML.NET using Visual Studio Code, 4th Edition
$39.99 in stock
10 used from $32.99
3. Programming C# 8.0
With this comprehensive guide, you will learn just how powerful the combination of C# and .NET can be. Author Ian Griffiths who is an accomplished instructor and a widely recognized expert on the subject guides you through C# 8.0 fundamentals and techniques for building cloud, web, and desktop applications.
Designed for experienced programmers, this book provides many code examples to help you work with the nuts and bolts of C#, such as generics, LINQ, and asynchronous programming features. You will get up to speed on .NET Core and the latest C# 8.0 additions, including asynchronous streams, nullable references, pattern matching, default interface implementation, ranges and new indexing syntax, and changes in the .NET tool chain.
You will also get to:
- Discover how C# supports fundamental coding features, such as classes, other custom types, collections, and error handling
- Learn how to write high-performance memory-efficient code with .NET Core’s Span and Memory types
- Query and process diverse data sources, such as in-memory object models, databases, data streams, and XML documents with LINQ
- Use .NET’s multithreading features to exploit your computer’s parallel processing capabilities
- Learn how asynchronous language features can help improve application responsiveness and scalability
Armed with his skill in instructing, Ian Griffiths presents this guide with the kind of diligence that an instructor has mastered. Grab this copy from Amazon by clicking on the link provided below.
Programming C# 8.0: Build Cloud, Web, and Desktop Applications
$45.66 in stock
15 used from $24.99
4. C# 8.0 in a Nutshell
Eric is a software development and machine learning leader equally at home with business and technology. He is experienced in architecting software solutions to fulfill emerging business needs as well as identifying new business opportunities enabled by technology. His co-author, Joseph Albahari, is the author of C# 7.0 in a Nutshell, C# 7.0 Pocket Reference and LINQ Pocket Reference among other accomplishments. As a team, they came up with this fully packed reference to help beginners and developers get a good grounding on C#.
When you have questions about C# 8.0 or .NET Core, this best-selling guide has the answers you need. C# is a language of unusual flexibility and breadth, but with its continual growth there is so much more to learn. In the tradition of the O’Reilly Nutshell guides, this thoroughly updated edition is simply the best one-volume reference to the C# language available today.
Organized around concepts and use cases, C# 8.0 in a Nutshell provides intermediate and advanced programmers with a concise map of C# and .NET knowledge that also plumbs significant depths.
You will also:
- Get up to speed on C#, from syntax and variables to advanced topics such as pointers, closures, and patterns
- Dig deep into LINQ with three chapters dedicated to the topic
- Explore concurrency and asynchrony, advanced threading, and parallel programming
- Work with .NET features, including regular expressions, networking, serialization, spans, reflection, and cryptography
- Delve into Roslyn, the modular C# compiler as a service
Get all of your questions answered in a pragmatic and organized manner provided in this guide. Your copy is awaiting in Amazon and you can access it by clicking on the link below.
C# 8.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference
$34.04 in stock
14 used from $30.30
5. C#: The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Learn C#
Mark Reed, the author, wrote this book for beginners as well as anyone who has already ventured into programming, but is looking to go further. It is written in a manner such that you will start from scratch and grow into C#, mastering the fundamentals along the way.
This guide will helps learners to get programming quickly by explaining core concepts in an easy manner. If creating visually elegant and functional applications is what you want, then C# is the one for you. With this book, C#: The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Learn C# Programming Step-by-Step, you have clear and concise information that will provide advantages such as:
- An introduction to the C# language
- The basic concepts and principles of writing computer programs
- Understanding data types & variables
- How to work with variables
- The different data types supported by C#
- Understand operators, expressions & when to use them on data
- Understanding the console input & output
- Definition of classes & its implementation
- Working with text files
To all beginners and all who need a thorough refresher, Mark Reed comes with vigour and energy to help you out with that. Plunge into learning and get your hard work to bear good fruits by going through this book. Click below to find out more details as well as purchase your copy from Amazon.
C#: The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Learn C# Programming Step-by-Step
6. Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 2020
On most days, Harrison Ferrone can be found writing technical documentation at Microsoft, creating instructional content for LinkedIn Learning and Pluralsight, or tech editing for the Ray Wenderlich website. He has the heart and the hand of teaching and he does it pretty well.
This book by Harrison presents a clear path for learning C# programming from the ground up without complex jargon or unclear programming logic, all while building a simple game with Unity.
This fifth edition has been updated to introduce modern C# features with the latest version of the Unity game engine, and a new chapter has been added on intermediate collection types. Starting with the basics of software programming and the C# language, you will learn the core concepts of programming in C#, including variables, classes, and object-oriented programming.
Once you’ve got to grips with C# programming, you will enter the world of Unity game development and discover how you can create C# scripts for simple game mechanics. Throughout the book, you’ll gain hands-on experience with programming best practices to help you take your Unity and C# skills to the next level.
By the end of this book, you will be able to leverage the C# language to build your own real-world Unity game development projects.
What you will learn
- Discover easy-to-follow steps and examples for learning C# programming fundamentals
- Get to grips with creating and implementing scripts in Unity
- Create basic game mechanics such as player controllers and shooting projectiles using C#
- Understand the concepts of interfaces and abstract classes
- Leverage the power of the latest C# features to solve complex programming problems
- Become familiar with stacks, queues, exceptions, error handling, and other core C# concepts
- Explore the basics of artificial intelligence (AI) for games and implement them to control enemy behavior
There is no better way to learn than side by side with a naturally talented instructor. Have a feel of Harrison’s techniques and instruction poured out in this resource by clicking below:
Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 2020: An enjoyable and intuitive approach to getting started with C# programming and Unity, 5th Edition
$33.50 in stock
9 used from $25.72
7. Head First C#
Andrew Stellman He and Jenny first worked in a company on Wall Street that built financial software, where he was managing a team of programmers. He has a sound understanding on the subject matter and has the tendency of creating programs when he is free.
Just like the author, dive into C# and create apps, user interfaces, games, and more using this fun and highly visual introduction to C#, .NET Core, and Visual Studio. With this completely updated guide, which covers C# 8.0 and Visual Studio 2019, beginning programmers like you will build a fully functional game in the opening chapter.
Then you will learn how to use classes and object-oriented programming, create 3D games in Unity, and query data with LINQ. And you will do it all by solving puzzles, doing hands-on exercises, and building real-world applications. By the time you are done, you will be a solid C# programmer -and you will have a great time along the way!
What is so special about this book?
Based on the latest research in cognitive science and learning theory, Head First C# uses a visually rich format to engage your mind rather than a text-heavy approach that puts you to sleep. Why waste your time struggling with new concepts? This multisensory learning experience is designed for the way your brain really works.
Take advantage of this new learning approach coupled with the skills and experience of the author. You can never go wrong with this new updated edition and that is why you should add this resource in your tech catalogue. Click below and you will get a chance to get it shipped from Amazon:
Head First C#: A Learner's Guide to Real-World Programming with C# and .NET Core
$51.04 in stock
12 used from $37.68
8. Murach’s C#, 7th Edition
This C# book has been a favorite of developers ever since the 1st edition came out in 2004. So you can be sure that this latest edition will deliver the professional skills you are looking for today. In fact, it will teach you the C# essentials more easily than ever, as it shows you how to take advantage of the most recent releases of C#, .NET, and Visual Studio.
Co- authored by Joel Murach, and Anne Boehm, this resource is a self-paced book that shows you how to use Visual Studio, C#, and the .NET classes to develop Windows Forms applications whether you are new to programming or not. It is an object-oriented book that shows you how to use business classes, inheritance, and interfaces the way they are used in the real world. It is a database programming book that shows you how to create professional database applications using Entity Framework and LINQ or ADO.NET.
When you are done, you will be able to develop 3-tiered, object-oriented, Windows Forms applications the way the best professionals do. And you will have the essential skills that you need to develop any C# application whether for the desktop, the web, or mobile devices.
There is nothing more appealing, joyful and enjoyable than when the concepts of programming have sank and at home. Get this Murach’s C# edition and get ready to have that heavenly feeling. Click below and begin learning:
Murach's C# (7th Edition) (Murach Books)
$52.96 in stock
5 used from $37.00
9. Pro C# 8 with .NET Core 3
Andrew Troelsen has more than 20 years of experience in the software industry. Over this time he has worked as a developer, educator, author, public speaker, and now team lead and lead engineer. Phil Japikse on the other hand is an international speaker, Microsoft MVP, ASPInsider, Professional Scrum Trainer, and a passionate member of the developer community.
This powerful team sat down and put their heads together and Pro C# 8 is the result. If you are a developer interested in .NET programming and the C# language, then do not attempt to pass by this amazing resource.
This essential classic provides a comprehensive foundation in the C# programming language and the frameworks it lives in. Now in its 9th edition, you will find the latest C# 8 and .NET Core features, along with new chapters on Microsoft’s lightweight, cross-platform framework, .NET Core 3.1. Coverage of ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core, and more, sits alongside the latest updates to .NET Core, including Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). Not only does this book cover all of the latest features in C# 8, but all chapters and code samples have been rewritten for this latest release.
Dive in and discover why this book has been a favorite of C# developers worldwide for more than 15 years. Gain a solid foundation in object-oriented development techniques, attributes and reflection, generics and collections, and numerous advanced topics not found in other texts (such as CIL opcodes and emitting dynamic assemblies). With the help of Pro C# 8 with .NET Core 3 gain the confidence to put C# into practice and explore the .NET Core universe on your own terms.
What You Will Learn
- Discover the bells and whistles of C# 8 features and updates to previous features
- Hit the ground running with ASP.NET Core web applications and web services, and Entity Framework Core
- Work with the latest version of Windows Presentation Foundation, now a part of .NET Core
- Understand the philosophy behind .NET and the cross-platform alternative, .NET Core
- Develop applications with C# and modern frameworks for services, web, and smart client applications
With more than 20 years of experience in the software industry you can be assured that the two authors have their compass right in this book. Check it out from Amazon below:
Pro C# 8 with .NET Core 3: Foundational Principles and Practices in Programming
$35.75 in stock
9 used from $29.38
10. Concurrency in C# Cookbook
This book is written for developers who want to learn modern approaches to concurrency. The author, Stephen Cleary, is a developer with extensive experience ranging from ARM firmware to Azure. He has contributed to open source from the very beginning with many projects of his own and others.
If you are one of many developers still uncertain about concurrent and multithreaded development, this practical cookbook will change your mind. With more than 85 code-rich recipes in this updated second edition, author Stephen Cleary demonstrates parallel processing and asynchronous programming techniques using libraries and language features in .NET and C# 8.0.
Concurrency is now more common in responsive and scalable application development, but it is still extremely difficult to code. The detailed solutions in this cookbook show you how modern tools raise the level of abstraction, making concurrency much easier than before. Complete with ready-to-use code and discussions about how and why solutions work, these recipes help you:
- Get up to speed on concurrency and async and parallel programming
- Use async and await for asynchronous operations
- Enhance your code with asynchronous streams
- Explore parallel programming with .NET’s Task Parallel Library
- Create dataflow pipelines with .NET’s TPL Dataflow library
- Understand the capabilities that System.Reactive builds on top of LINQ
- Utilize threadsafe and immutable collections
- Learn how to conduct unit testing with concurrent code
- Make the thread pool work for you
- Enable clean, cooperative cancellation
- Examine scenarios for combining concurrent approaches
- Dive into asynchronous-friendly object-oriented programming
- Recognize and write adapters for code using older asynchronous styles
For the developers who want to get their concurrent and multithreaded development fixed, fix your eyes on this book that focusses on that with gravity. Access Stephen’s experience and skill written clearly in this resource. You can order yours from Amazon and add it in your collection below:
Concurrency in C# Cookbook: Asynchronous, Parallel, and Multithreaded Programming
$43.77 in stock
9 used from $30.97
Stir up the gift and the skill hidden beneath your brilliant minds and hearts today. There is a reason you checked out the books above and never ignore the drive in the voice leading you. You have the chance of being the best with the right dose of dedication, resolve and hard work. Work on your dreams from today. It all begins with a single line of code!
Other books that you might love are shared in the articles listed below: